Start Corporation operates a 12-unit single room occupancy complex to serve as transitional housing program for homeless veterans at 137 New Orleans Boulevard. The New Start for Veterans’ Transitional Housing Program gives each resident an opportunity to break their cycle of homelessness. Residents are encouraged to change their homeless lifestyle through the development of living skills, personal growth, recovery, self reliance, productivity, residential stability, and community involvement. The program is designed to give each resident an opportunity to stabilize their living environment while exploring employment opportunities and a more permanent living situation. Start Corporation’s philosophy is based on the belief that recovery is strengthened and supported by having safe and stable housing, access to basic needs, being a part of a supportive social network, and having meaningful interests and activities. Our goal is to help the persons we serve obtain these things and to help them feel like productive members of their community.
Days / Hours of Service
Residential staff is available on site outside of office hours when needed by client. 24 hour emergency Phone contact is available
Special Population Needs
Screening and Admission
What We Do
• To provide services and referrals that meets the needs of the participants.
• To assist residents in identifying and overcoming barriers to permanent housing
• To assist participants in developing skills required to meet obligations of tenancy.
Expectations of the Program
• Employment and career development
• Budgeting skills and money management
• Life Skills
• Building social supports
• Exploring and pursuing educational goals